16-channel audio monitor with 3G/HD/SD SDI de-embedding, Dolby® E, Dolby® Digital and Dolby® Digital Plus decoding and loudness measurement in a 1U 19” unit.
- Metering and monitoring of up to 16 channels of audio
- 16-channel audio de-embedding from SDI sources
- Auto-sensing SDI inputs (SD/HD/3G)
- Dolby® E, Dolby® Digital and Dolby® Digital Plus decoder
- Additional sources: AES3id x 4 (8ch) and analogue x 8
- AES3id and analogue outputs of channels 1 to 8 of the selected source
- Very simple to use: all primary functions have individual controls
- Display for input status, metadata and unit configuration
- 2 x full-range front panel speakers plus internal LF sub-woofer
- Any channel may be monitored on either speaker, including combinations and groups
- High resolution, tricolour LED meters with adjustable colour transition points and peak-hold facility
- Loudness measurement: compliant with ITU-R BS1770-2 and BS1770/EBU R128
- Numeric loudness displays: momentary (LUFS units), 3 or 10 second averages, integrated value and Loudness Range (LRA)
- Four standard meter scales/ballistics, user selectable
- Audio output levels are auto-adjusted for consistent volume when monitoring multiple channels
Bel Model BM-A1-16SHD has the same features as the BM-A1-E16SHD with the exception of Dolby decoding and loudness measurement.
The unit is very simple to use: all source selection and main monitoring setup is done from individual controls on the front panel without any necessity for menu navigation.
In addition to two auto-detecting 3G/HD/SD SDI inputs, the monitor has eight balanced analogue inputs (D-sub) and four AES3id (BNCs). A re-clocked loop-through output is available for the selected SDI source providing a convenient and cost-effective method of switching SDI feeds to an external monitor. Channels 1 to 8 of the selected source are also routed to four AES3id outputs and eight balanced analogue outputs (D-sub). Additionally, the stereo audio monitor mix is available as a seperate balanced feed at a pair of XLRs.
Audio levels are metered on eight 26-segment tricolour LED bargraphs. User setup options allow a choice of four scales and ballistics (BBC or DIN PPM, VU and AES/EBU), and also colour transition points and peak hold.
The unit will decode Dolby® E, Dolby® Digital or Dolby® Digital Plus bitstreams into their discrete channels. Dolby data may be present on any pair of the incoming SDI audio channels, or connected at any of the AES3id inputs. There is a dedicated front panel control for selection of Dolby material: the user simply selects the input source for the Dolby data, and the decoded audio channel levels are displayed on the meters. The Dolby card has provision for creating up to eight stereo down-mixes; any of these may be selected for audition. 5.1+2 and 5.1+1+1 modes are also catered for. Metadata may be displayed on the LCD screen.
The BM-A1-E16SHD also performs loudness measurement, compliant with ITU-R BS1770-2 and EBU R128, on the signals selected for monitoring. Momentary loudness value in LUFS units is displayed on the LCD screen in numeric form, accompanied by 3 or 10 second average values, the Integrated (long-term) value or Loudness Range (LRA).
The audio quality is remarkably high for a 1U unit in addition to the front panel stereo speakers a third low frequency driver is mounted internally to provide an impressively extended low frequency response for such a compact monitor unit. Users have full flexibility in assigning any channel to left, right or both speakers (or neither), and automatic level attenuation compensates for monitoring multiple channels. A (¼” jack) headphone output socket is provided on the front panel; when in use, the internal speakers are muted. Audio level at the rear panel analogue outputs may be configured from a setup menu either to be fixed or to follow the main volume control.
The BM-A1-E16SHD is fitted with a display screen, enabling easy device configuration and display of signal status information.
The unit, built to a very high mechanical standard in a stainless steel 1U 19” enclosure, is designed to exceed current EMC directives giving the best possible isolation from external interference and vice versa, and is fully RoHS compliant. Warranty is for 3 years.