A hi-end 8-channel Mic/Line preamp and AD-converter, RME’s Micstasy M provides simultaneous analogue and digital outputs, the latter available as both AES3 and MADI. The Micstasy M is fully remote-controllable via MIDI or MIDI over MADI, allowing the device to be placed near the microphone sources to guarantee the highest sound quality, while remaining controllable from the mix or recording position.
Main feature set:
- 8 balanced XLR mic/line inputs with 85 dB gain range
- MADI I/O with serial cascading and digital return path
- Analogue input level from -56.5dBu up to +30dBu
- High-end circuitry with super low-noise microphone front-end
- Near-click-free gain changes in steps of 0.5 dB
- Wide frequency range (200 kHz) with special EMI input filtering
- 8 balanced TRS line/instrument inputs with Hi-Z option
- 8 balanced XLR line outputs, maximum level +27 dBu
- 4 x AES3 Out via D-sub, 8 channels @ up to 192 kHz
- 2 x ADAT Out, 8 channels @ up to 96 kHz (SMUX and SMUX4)
- Symmetrical hi-pass (Lo Cut) filter with super-low THD, 18 dB/oct
- LED level meter with 13 LEDs per channel
- M/S de-/encoding for the digital output
- AutoSet: Automatic gain reduction with multiple linking
- Current state can be stored to 8 user presets
- Fully remote controllable
- MADI I/O (I 64 MADI Card – standard on Micstasy M)
- 8 x Analogue Input Preamps (XLR/Line with 85 dB gain range)
- 8 x Analogue Output (XLR)
- 4 x AES3 Out (8 channels @ 192 kHz)
- 2 x ADAT Out (SMUX and SMUX4)
- MIDI I/O
- Word clock I/O
The signals amplified by the Micstasy M are simultaneously available at the analogue outputs, avoiding the need for an expensive on-stage splitter box; and the digital AES3 and MADI outputs.
The Micstasy M provides a 64 channel coaxial and optical MADI output in parallel with the AES3 and ADAT outputs. The Micstasy M MADI interface also provides input pass-through allowing up to 64 channels from eight Micstasy units to be merged to a single MADI connection – all correctly time aligned for delivery to the recording or mixing system.
The MADI input automatically detects which of the optical and coaxial ports are active allowing redundant connections to be created so that if one connection is lost due to inadvertent or malicious disconnection, the other input is automatically selected.
The MADI input can be internally routed to the ADAT and AES outputs allowing this to be used for cue or foldback returns.
The Micstasy M employs high-class AD-converters from Cirrus Logic, offering reference grade Signal-to-Noise and distortion performance and exceptionally low latency – 12 samples in Single Speed (0.25 ms), 9 samples in Double Speed (0.09 ms), and 5 samples in Quad Speed (0.026 ms).
These values are less than a quarter of those available from more expensive devices and contribute to a significant reduction in the overall latency of any digital recording or mixing system.
- Frequency response -0.1 dB: 20 Hz – 100 kHz
- EIN @ 40 dB Gain @ 150 Ohm: 126.5 dBu
- EIN @ 50/60/70 dB Gain @ 150 Ohm: 127.4 dBu
- THD+N @ 30 dB Gain: < -100 dB, < 0.001 %
- Signal to Noise ratio AD (SNR) @ +30dBu: 115.2 dB RMS unweighted, 118.5 dBA
- Signal to Noise ratio AD (SNR) @ +21dBu: 112.7 dB RMS unweighted, 116 dBA
- EIN @ 30 dB Gain @ 150 Ohm: 122.3 dBu
- Signal to Noise ratio AD (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 110 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA
- Sync sources: Internal, AES, word, Option (MADI)
- Sample frequencies: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, variable (external clocks)
- Sample rate range: MADI: 32 – 192 kHz, word clock: 27 kHz – 200 kHz, AES: 28 kHz – 200 kHz
- Jitter: Typical < 1 ns for internal, word clock, AES and MADI input
- Jitter suppression: >30 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Jitter sensitivity: all PLLs operate error-free even at 100 ns
- Power supply: Internal switching mode PS, 100V – 240V AC, 60 Watt
- Dimensions: (WxHxD) 483 x 88 x 200 mm
- Warranty: 2 years