High quality 16-channel broadcast audio monitor with SDI, AES3id and analogue audio sources plus SDI de-embedding in a 2U 19” unit.
- Metering and monitoring of up to 16 channels of audio
- 16-channel audio de-embedding from SDI sources
- Auto-sensing SDI inputs (SD/HD/3G)
- Additional sources: AES3id x 8 (16ch) and analogue x 10
- AES3id outputs of all 16 channels
- Analogue outputs of channels 1 to 8 of the selected source
- Very simple to use: all primary functions have dedicated controls
- Display for input status, metadata and unit configuration
- 2 x full-range front panel speakers plus internal LF sub-woofer
- Any channel may be monitored on either speaker, including combinations and groups
- 16 high resolution, tricolour LED meters with adjustable colour transition points and peak-hold facility
- Four standard meter scales/ballistics, user selectable
- Audio output levels are auto-adjusted for consistent volume when monitoring multiple channels
- Optional card for Dolby® decoding and loudness measurement (see below)
Bel Model BM-A1-16SHD provides all the primary features of the BM-A2-16SHD in a lower-cost 1U unit, with some slight reduction in functionality. The BM-A2-E16SHD provides the same functionality of the BM-A2-16SHD, with the addition of Dolby® decoding and loudness measurement.
The unit is very simple to use: all source selection and main monitoring setup is done from individual controls on the front panel without any necessity for menu navigation.
In addition to two auto-detecting 3G/HD/SD SDI inputs, the monitor has eight balanced analogue inputs (D-sub) and eight AES3id (BNCs). Analogue inputs 1 and 2 are duplicated on a pair of XLRs. A re-clocked loop-through output is available for the selected SDI source providing a convenient and cost-effective method of switching SDI feeds to an external monitor. The 16 channels of the selected source are also routed to eight AES3id outputs and Channels 1 to 8 to balanced analogue outputs (D-sub). In addition, the stereo audio monitor mix is available as a separate balanced feed at a pair of XLRs.
Audio levels are metered on sixteen 53-segment, high-resolution, tricolour LED bargraphs. User setup options allow a choice of four scales and ballistics (BBC or DIN PPM, VU and AES/EBU), and also colour transition points and peak hold.
The audio quality is remarkably high for an in-rack audio monitor; in addition to the front panel stereo speakers a third low frequency driver is mounted internally to provide an impressively extended low frequency response. Users have full flexibility in assigning any channel to left, right or both speakers (or neither), and automatic level attenuation compensates for monitoring multiple channels. A ¼” jack headphone output socket is provided on the front panel; when in use, the internal speakers are muted. Audio level at the rear panel analogue outputs may be configured from a setup menu either to be fixed or to follow the main volume control.
The BM-A2-16SHD is fitted with a display screen, enabling easy device configuration and display of signal status information and metadata. A Dolby decoder card may be retrofitted to allow decoding of Dolby E, Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus signals; the card also permits loudness measurement (compliant with ITU-R BS1770-2) of the selected sources.
The unit, built to a very high mechanical standard in a stainless steel 2U 19” enclosure, is designed to exceed current EMC directives giving the best possible isolation from external interference and vice versa, and is fully RoHS compliant. Warranty is for 3 years.