16-channel audio monitor with 3G/HD/SD SDI de-embedding, plus AES3 and analogue inputs and outputs in a 1U 19” unit.
- Metering and monitoring of up to 16 channels of audio
- 16-channel audio de-embedding from 3G/HD/SD SDI sources (auto-sensing)
- Additional 16-channel sources: AES-3id x 4 and analogue x 8
- AES-3id and analogue outputs of channels 1 to 8 of the selected source
- Very simple to use: all primary functions have individual controls
- Display for input status, metadata and unit configuration
- 2 x full-range front panel speakers plus internal LF sub-woofer
- Any channel may be monitored on either speaker, including combinations and groups
- High resolution, tricolour LED meters with adjustable colour transition points and peak-hold facility
- Four standard meter scales/ballistics, user assignable
- Audio output levels are auto adjust – for consistent volume when monitoring multiple channels
- Optional card for Dolby® decoding and loudness measurement (see below)
Bel Model BM-A1-E16SHD provides all the facilities of the BM-A1-16SHD, plus decoding of Dolby E, Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus data, and loudness measurement.
The Bel BM-A1-16SHD is a high quality, 1U, 16-channel audio monitor suitable for operation in broadcast control rooms or OB vehicles where SDI is the standard video format. It is able to de-embed 16 channels of audio from 3G/HD/SD SDI, and display the levels of channels 1 to 8 or 9 to 16 on the front panel meters, and to provide stereo audio monitoring of any combination of the 16 channels.
The unit is very simple to use: all source selection and main monitoring setup is done from individual controls on the front panel without any necessity for menu navigation.
In addition to two auto-detecting 3G/HD/SD SDI inputs, the monitor has eight balanced analogue inputs (Dsub) and four AES-3id pairs. A re-clocked loop-through output is available for the selected SDI source, and Channels 1 to 8 of the selected source are also routed to four AES-3id outputs and eight balanced analogue outputs (Dsub). In addition, the stereo audio monitor mix is available as a separate balanced feed at a pair of XLRs.
Audio levels are metered on eight 26-segment tricolour LED bargraphs. User setup options allow a choice of four scales and ballistics (including BBC or DIN PPM, VU and AES/EBU), and also colour transition points and peak hold.
The audio quality is remarkably high for a 1U unit; in addition to the front panel stereo speakers a large sub-woofer unit is mounted internally, and no compression is applied to the audio signal. Users have full flexibility in assigning any channel to left, right or both speakers (or neither), and automatic level attenuation compensates for routing multiple channels. A headphone output is fitted to the front panel (¼” jack); when in use, the internal speakers are muted. Audio level at the rear panel analogue outputs may be configured from a setup menu either to be fixed or to follow the main volume control.
The BM-A1-16SHD is fitted with a display screen, enabling easy device configuration and display of signal status information and metadata. A Dolby decoder card may be retrofitted to allow decoding of Dolby E, Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus signals; the card also permits loudness measurement (compliant with ITU-R BS1770-2) of the selected sources.
The unit is built to a very high mechanical standard in a stainless steel 1U 19” enclosure, is designed to exceed current EMC directives and is fully RoHS compliant. Warranty is for 3 years.